Sunday, August 8, 2010

Farmers' Market Finds 8/7/10


The girls and I (along with my friend and her baby girl) headed off to the farmers' market on Saturday. I decided to step out of my comfort zone (after some encouragement from my friend) and purchase the eggplant (I bought more than just these 2, but ate the others for dinner tonight). I loved that they were small and not too fleshy. The lady we bought them from told us she slices them in half length-wise, drizzles them with olive oil, and grills them or roasts them in the oven. We grilled mine tonight. I realized I'm not a huge eggplant fan, but they weren't bad and I'll try them oven roasted next time. I also got some small onions because I'm the only one that eats them and I hate wasting a large onion. The girls picked out the apples. Not the prettiest, but they tasted good. I thought they would be in the family of a granny smith or something, but the lady said they were golden delicious. The first born starts kindergarten tomorrow and will be taking one of the apples as well as some of our homemade yogurt for her snack.
Again, my most exciting purchase of the day was meat! The lady from Little Red Hen Farm was there and I ordered 5 lbs. of chicken breast that is pastured, never given antibiotics or hormones, and never fed GMO grains! I'm loving buying our meats directly from the farmer! Can't wait to get a deep freeze so we can buy in bigger quantities, especially since they stops processing their chickens during the winter. They will also begin selling pork in the fall and I'm planning on purchasing from her because her bacon is uncured and cheaper than the other guy's. I'll probably start buying my eggs from her too!

No comments:

Post a Comment