Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Farmers' Market Finds 8/4/10


We went to the local farmers' market this morning. This is our second Wednesday in a row and I'm loving it! Haven't been able to make it on a Saturday yet, but I've heard there are twice as many (or more) vendors on Saturdays. I bought local wildflower honey, two ginormous cucumbers, tomatoes (I have a plant, but the last two ripe ones were eaten by some critter and all the others are still green), a cantaloupe (which will be gone tonight once the hubby gets home and cuts it open), and my most exciting purchase....pork.....from a local farm! This pork was pastured, not given any steroids, hormones, or antibiotics and I bought the pork from the man who owns and raises the pigs. Today I only bought a pound of bacon and a shoulder roast, but I hope to buy much more from him in the future and once we get a deep freeze maybe we can even buy in bulk. I spoke to him briefly about this option, and he even mentioned us coming down to the farm to see the pigs. After watching Food, Inc. and as I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, I'm learning more and more about how our industrial food system is cloaked in secrecy. I love buying local, knowing that I can go directly to the source and see how they are treating their animals (also known as my food). I love knowing that the money I pay for my food is going directly into the pockets of the farmer to provide for their family instead of helping some CEO becoming richer and richer, while the farmer grows poorer and poorer. Check out www.localharvest.org to find farmer's markets in your area.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I want to go! Where is it located? I can take A this Saturday:)

    ReplyDelete