Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Honey Nut Granola

I love crunchy foods. Chocolate is better with nuts, I like nut topping on my ice cream, and I love nutty granola. My cousin recently sent me a recipe for homemade granola. I tweaked it a bit to suit my taste, and you could tweak the basic recipe to suit your taste as well.

Here's the recipe I've been using:
2 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 c raw sunflower seeds
1 c almonds (I prefer whole almonds)
1/2 c toasted wheat germ
1/2 c flax seed
1/4 to 1/2 c honey (I like it with 1/4 c which provides a dry, crunchy, fall apart granola. My husband prefers the 1/2 c version, which results in a sweeter, stickier, bar-like consistency.)
1 oz unsalted butter, plus extra to butter the pan
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 c packed brown sugar/turbinado sugar/sucanat

Preheat oven to 350* F and toast oats, nuts, and seeds for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Make sure you at least toast the oats, otherwise they turn gummy/gooey from the wet mixture--I made this mistake last time thinking it wasn't an important step)

In the meantime, combine honey, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and salt in medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until sugar is completely dissolved.

Once, oat mixture is toasted, remove it from oven and reduce heat to 300* F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture and stir to combine. Turn mixture out onto buttered dish and bake 25 minutes.
You could use a 9"x9" glass baking dish to form bars or I just spread mine out into a thin layer on a baking sheet for loose granola (using the 1/4 c honey version) or "sheets" of granola (using the 1/2 c honey version).

Making this recipe your own:
From what I have read/heard about granola, it is all about the wet to dry ratio. Therefore, you could use whatever nuts/seeds/grains you want, just keep the dry ingredients to around 4 cups. You can even add dried fruit (the original recipe called for 6 1/2 oz, but that isn't really my thing), but don't worry about factoring this into your dry to wet ratio.

Let me know if you make it and what variations you try.

Shared on Real Food Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. I really like it with dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. It gives it a tangy/ sweet taste....

    ReplyDelete