Friday, August 6, 2010

I'm Afraid I'm Becoming "That" Mom

I never thought I'd be anywhere remotely close to being "that" mom. I thought "those" moms were quirky at best, and somewhat of a quack at worst. However, today I realized I am leaning toward becoming "that" mom.
Today was my firstborn's meet the teacher day for kindergarten. She is so excited, and I am too! We have all of her school supplies and bought all kinds of neat containers that will keep her food cold or hot when packing her lunches. She's excited about eating in the cafeteria as opposed to eating in her classroom like she did in Pre-K. She's even memorized her student ID (a 6 digit number) that she must enter to "pay" for her cafeteria lunches. However, with all of my new convictions and awareness to our industrial food system, I'm concerned about her eating school lunches. Within our back to school packet I came across the form for free or reduced price lunches. The first 2 sentences say "children need healthy meals to learn. [our county] offers healthy meals every school day." Then I was looking over the menu this evening and noticed things like corn dogs, rib-b-que sandwiches, etc. But, I think what I thought was the worst was the "funnel cake" on the breakfast menu. I thought funnel cake was fair food, not part of a "healthy" school menu. Soooo...after looking over the menu and in the interest of not being "that" mom, we're planning to let her choose a few days she wants to eat the school menu (thankfully there a ton of days she won't like either of the offerings anyway) and we'll provide our own lunch most of the time. We are also required to provide a snack for her each day (or if we forget she'll receive one out of the "snack box," so we just won't forget) and I'll plan to pack something that is found in nature or consisting of "real" ingredients. And, we're planning on letting her do "Ice Cream Thursdays" with the rest of the class. So, maybe I'm still quite a ways off from being "that" mom.
So far I think we're doing pretty well with our feet-first jump into the real foods movement. We had a few products in the freezer that weren't organic or grass-fed and I must admit we finished those off....I even admit that tonight we had hotdogs (but from now on I'm buying the kind in the organic section without nitrates/nitrites!). This week, I made stovetop mac & cheese and it really was a hit! I baked more bread from the Healthy Bread in 5 book. This time I tried the Soft Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread and even made buns/rolls in addition to the loaf. I also made another batch of crockpot yogurt, which I really will have to blog about next because the girls are eating about a half gallon per week (NOT A JOKE!). And, tonight, I made a delicious peach crumble (the original recipe is for organic peach crumble; mine wasn't completely organic, but still consisted of all REAL ingredients)! Tomorrow morning, we're planning on eating some of the bacon I picked up at the market on Wednesday and will probably head back out to the market to see what else we can find (I hear there are quite a few more vendors on Saturdays)!

6 comments:

  1. I think it is ok to be "that mom." All you can do is your best. I have to remember when I start feeling guilty for not making my own bread any more. You have to balance taking care of your physical health through healthy eating and taking care of your mental health by not driving yourself crazy trying to do it all. Baby steps. That is my mantra and the way I get back to where I want to be when I find that I am sliding back to more processed foods.
    Thanks for your blog, I am really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. Seems like there is an interest. I was afraid that I was going to be blogging to no one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a ways from 'that' mom - you are willing to compromise. Remember, it is what you teach them at the core, and a little indulgence once in awhile is not a bad thing. It is the every day accumulation of all this crap that is what is killing us. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree that funnel cakes for breakfast is a little much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you've got me wondering just what these "snacks" are that will provided for E's class. We have a $35 fee to pay up front because they give the K class snack every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean. Last year M's pre-k required a $20 fee for snacks/lunch. You weren't allowed to send homemade lunches unless you withdrew from ALL provided foods (snacks, lunch, and even parties) so I just paid the fee. However, most of the things that I later heard she had for snack were cookies, etc.

    ReplyDelete