Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's Not Delivery And It's A Heck Of A lot Better Than DiGiorno

Shared on Fight Back Friday
We've been making homemade pizza at our house for years, but I've always used store-bought sauce, white flour, and pre-shredded cheeses. Now I'm tweaking the recipe to better fit our quest for real food using whole wheat flour, and real (even raw) cheese. Tonight I made a margherita style pizza for myself and a salami pizza for the hubby. For my margherita pizza I used the crust and sauce recipes below as well as sliced mozzarella, some shredded raw colby cheese I picked up at the farmer's market, fresh basil from my own plant, and some tiny little tomatoes (Matt's Wild variety) that I also picked up at the farmer's market. For the hubster's salami pizza, I used the same crust and sauce, shredded mozzarella and raw colby cheeses, and all natural, nitrate-free salami. I would have taken a picture of the salami pizza, but it was completely consumed before I had a chance.


For the crust (This recipe is an adaptation of Bobby Flay's recipe):

3 1/2 to 4 c. flour (I used about 2 c. whole wheat and 1 1/2 c. bread flour)
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp dry yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. warm water
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil

I combine all dry ingredients in my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the dough attachment. Then add water and 2 Tbsp olive oil. I increase the speed and until a ball forms and sticks to the dough hook. You may need to add more flour if the dough sticks to the sides or more water if the dough does not incorporate all of the flour. Grease a large bowl with 2 tsp. olive oil, add dough and cover with a damp towel. Allow to rise until doubled (about 1 hour). Divide and allow to rest on floured surface 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 450*F and place your baking sheet/pizza stone in the oven. After the oven is preheated and/or your dough has rested remove the sheet/stone and (carefully) roll out your dough on the hot sheet/stone. Add desired sauce and ingredients. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until cheese has melted.

For the sauce (This recipe is Bobby Flay's recipe):
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Pinch of red pepper flakes
28 oz tomatoes (I used one can of sauce and one can of petite diced, but you can adjust according to your desired texture)
Basil or Italian Seasoning to taste (if desired--I actually forgot to add this tonight)
Salt & Pepper (again, I forgot to add this tonight)

Heat olive oil in sauce pan over medium heat, add onions and cook until soft , about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chili flakes; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, and simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in seasonings.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for the pizza dough recipe. I have yet to try to make pizza dough and recently bought a kitchen aid mixer to make homemade bread. I'll be sure to try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete