Thursday, August 12, 2010

Kid Tested, Mother Approved

Now that school is in session and I'm pushing homemade lunches over cafeteria food, I have to find things that the firstborn will eat. She's the picky one. Her idea of a vegetable is fried okra, or carrots in chicken noodle soup. Fruit, on the other hand, is her real food of choice. As long as I have plenty of fruit choices on hand, I feel like she's getting the vitamins and minerals that she would otherwise get in vegetables (I'll post soon about the raw applesauce I've been making). And, she's usually happy with turkey and cheese, with or without bread. However, she hasn't cared for any of the bread I've made recently and I have vowed not to buy any more bread with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup). A friend of mine sent me this recipe for pita bread. When I told Madeline how she could stuff her turkey and cheese into the pocket of pita bread, she was sold on the idea, now we just had to test the taste of the bread.

Pita Bread

Makes 8 pitas

3 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups white all purpose flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon sugar or honey ( I used local honey)
1 packet yeast (or, if from bulk, 2 teaspoons yeast)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups water, roughly at room temperature
2 tablespoons olive oil, vegetable oil, butter, or shortening (I used olive oil since it is the most traditional oil used in making pita bread---and I'm trying not to use shortening or any other vegetable oils...I'll get around to posting about this in the future.)

**Refer to the original post for recipe instructions**

My bread did not puff up like the photos shown in the original recipe post (nor were they as nicely rounded), so I was immediately concerned that I had messed up the recipe (maybe it was because I used whole wheat flour). However, once cut in half, the pitas pull apart easily to produce the pocket I was hoping for. I tried a bite while it was still warm and I thought it was delicious. I gave the firstborn a bite and she immediately said "yum!" This has become the bread that she asks for and she has packed a pita sandwich twice this week. The result was an extra soft, moist, fluffy, and slightly sweet flat bread. I'm debating trying this dough to make a loaf of bread. I'm not sure how it will turn out and I'm afraid it might overflow out of the loaf pan while baking, but I'm thinking of giving it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

3 comments:

  1. April, What is the yield for this recipe? They look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes 8 pitas. Refer to the original post for actual instructions for making the dough since I didn't include it in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like making pizzas on pita bread. It's just the right size for a little one's personal pizza.

    ReplyDelete