Monday, August 2, 2010

The Quest for Real Food

Our family has just begun a new journey. A journey to REAL food. A journey that takes us out of the supermarket aisles consisting of boxes upon boxes of fillers, additives, and unpronounceable chemicals that our culture has led us to believe is food. This journey will prove challenging at times and I'm not sure where we'll finally end up. But, I believe we will be healthier and happier in the end.

I've known for a long time that our American diets aren't really good for us, but I'm recently finding out just how BAD these foods are for our bodies. We're not necessarily going organic, or health food. We're going Little House on the Prairie, using ingredients my great-great grandmother would have recognized. Eggs, butter, milk....not maltodextrin, MSG, high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils. I'm realizing that I'm going to need to make things myself if I want to keep these (and other) ingredients out of our foods.

The first step was reading food labels....and more labels...and more labels and choosing the one with the least processing, least artificial ingredients, or even choosing not to purchase the product at all. My first real food purchase was organic maple syrup. No more high fructose corn syrup masquerading around as pancake syrup for us.

So here's the challenge, pay attention to what you're feeding yourself and your family. Read the ingredients label, and do a little research to understand exactly what all of those abbreviations mean.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so excited for you and your family - and also to follow this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to follow your journey. This is something that I've been seriously thinking about for several months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, I am so excited to read about your "real" food journey. This is something I've been interested in for a while as well...but I have to say most often convenience wins out, which is really a shame b/c what are we putting into our bodies??!!

    ReplyDelete