Monday, August 2, 2010

Healthy Bread


I first heard about Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day from SortaCrunchy. The concept is that you only have 5 minutes of hands-on time with the bread on any given day; around 5 minutes to prepare the dough, and 5 minutes of prep time the day that you want to bake it (of course more time is necessary for rising, resting, and baking, but you're not actually doing anything with the bread while this is happening). While at the library this week I decided to get the book and give a few of the recipes a trial run before investing in the book. All of the recipes are written to half or double in order to make as many loaves as you like and the dough is stored in the fridge until ready to use. Oh, and there's an entire section of gluten free recipes as well. The first recipe I tried was their master recipe (the loaf of bread pictured on the cover), and I'll blog about it another time, but it didn't quite turn out like I had hoped, most of which was my fault so I will try it again. This time I went with the recipe for Soft Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread. This recipe only calls for 9 ingredients, none of which are corn-derived. They also provide instructions for making hotdog and hamburger buns from this dough (the Publix hamburger buns I bought yesterday had 17 ingredients, not including the extra 7 listed under "enriched flour bleached." This recipe is a keeper since Matt and the girls liked it! Guess I'll invest in the book after all!

4 comments:

  1. How long did it take to rise and bake? I have been wanting to make some bread of my own. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After mixing the ingredients you allow it to rise for about 2 hours, you can then either put it into the bread pan, let rest for 40 minutes and bake for 45-50 minutes, or you can refrigerate the dough and when you want to bake it, put in the bread pan, let rise for 90 minutes & bake. I recently came across www.thefreshloaf.com which has a ton of bread ideas/recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. would you mind posting the recipe for the bread you made? I'd love to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't post the recipe due to copyright laws, but I already sent Mandy a slimmed down version of the recipe. Having said that, I borrowed the book from the library to try the recipes before I buy the book.

    ReplyDelete