Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Fluffier Whole Wheat Bread

I ran across another recipe for homemade whole wheat bread. Musings of a Housewife's bread recipe had great reviews so I decided to give it a try. I have a smaller kitchen aid stand mixer than she does so I decided to cut the recipe in half and make a batch of dough for 2 loaves of bread. She also suggests freezing the dough, allowing it to thaw & rise and then baking so you always have freshly baked bread as opposed to baking & then freezing. This bread is extra light & fluffy...very reminiscent of our days past with store bought bread. So far the girls really like it!


Here are the ingredients for the half-recipe (2 loaves) See the original post for all of the instructions.


3 cups whole wheat flour

1/3 cup honey

1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted (I used butter)

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon, 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

2-1/4 cup very warm water (120°F to 130°F)

1 cups Spelt or white flour (I bought spelt which is an ancient cousin of whole wheat, and I probably wouldn't bother with it again. I really can't see what difference it would make)

2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour

This bread is delicious and not dense like other wheat breads. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the amount of white flour and probably the amount of yeast (which seems to be more than other recipes). Try it and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment