Sunday, September 19, 2010

Homemade Bagels

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I've stopped buying store bought bagels that are laden with artificial ingredients and added preservatives. I decided to go with this recipe and for my first batch I decided not to change anything (well, I did substitute light olive oil for the recipe's vegetable oil). Yes, it calls for bread flour, and no, that isn't a "real" food, but these bagels only have a total of 6 ingredients, which is a HUGE improvement over store bought bagels.


Homemade Bagels


4 c. bread flour
1 Tbl sugar
1 1/2 tsps salt
1 Tbl oil (the original recipe called for vegetable oil, but I used light olive oil. I assume coconut oil would work as well)
2 tsps instant yeast
1-1/4- 1-1/2 cups of warm water (I had to add just a little more)


Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Once all flour is incorporated, knead on a flat surface for 10 minutes (I highly doubt I kneaded this long). Cut dough into 8 balls (or you could do more for smaller bagels) and let rest 10-20 minutes.


The orginal recipe gave instructions for hand rolling the dough, but I since found another recipe that suggests rolling the dough into a tight ball and then poking two fingers through the middle and stretching the dough a bit to form a hole. (I'm going to try this next time, I think it might be a little easier and create a more uniform bagel).


Let bagels rest about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425* F, bring a pot of water to a boil, and lightly grease a baking sheet.

My bagels resting before their water bath


After 20 minutes, add bagels, a few at a time, to the pot of boiling water. Boil for a minute or two on both sides. Remove from water, allow to dry for a moment, and place them on your baking sheet. Repeat until all bagels have boiled. (This is the time to add any desired seeds or toppings to your bagels.)


Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes (the orginal recipe said to flip the bagels after 10 minutes, but I thought this would create a flat bagel on both sides, so I skipped this step and mine turned out just fine).


Allow to cool and enjoy!

Next time I want to try making blueberry bagels, and I might start incorporating whole wheat flour, as well as using honey or sucanat instead of refined, white sugar.


1 comment: