Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Homemade Grahams


My kids love graham crackers (and I must admit I really like them too...when they're dipped in milk and all soggy....yum!). However, I just can't buy graham crackers now that I'm reading labels. I recently found a recipe for graham cookies. I adapted it to fit our new real food conversion. I realized my family liked them when my 5 year-old asked me to make them for 4 consecutive days. I finally took the hint and made another batch.

Graham Cookies

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup sucanat
3 Tbs. toasted wheat germ
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut up
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

In a food processor, combine dry ingredients. Add butter, cover, and process until fine crumbs form. Add honey, milk, and vanilla. Cover and process until mixture starts to hold together. If necessary, place in a bowl and work with your hands until dough is smooth. Divide in half and flatten each half to a disk. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough and cut into squares. Arrange squares 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350* oven for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to cookie sheets and let cool.

Unfortunately, these aren't a replacement for those crispy, crunchy Honey Maids, but they are a much better alternative. Possibly cooking at a lower heat for a longer time will make a crunchier, drier, cookie/cracker. A friend mentioned using a cracker dehydrator. I've never heard of one of those before. Any other thoughts on producing a crunchy cracker?

Shared on Fight Back Friday and Real Food Wednesday

Update 4/2/11: I made these again tonight and was having a difficult time getting the mixture to stick together. I added a couple more tablespoons of milk and it seemed to fix the problem. Also, my hubby was in charge of removing the first batch from the oven and he left them cooking for a few minutes longer than the recommended 8 minutes. These produced a much crunchier graham cracker.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe cooking them a little bit longer will make them crispy? I'm thinking of chocolate chip cookies - when I bake them 8 minutes, they are soft, but 10-11 minutes give me crunchy cookies.

    ReplyDelete