Friday, November 12, 2010

Zuppa Tuscana


My father-in-law loves Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana and raved about it so much that my husband (who would only eat potatoes in french fry form) decided to give it a try-----and LOVED it too! I must say that my husband has now branched out to eating a baked potato on occasion and has even ventured over to the once-off-limits sweet potato. This may sound tame to most of you, but when I met this man of mine he would eat raw carrots, french fries, and corn....oh, and sometimes a cucumber. That was it. He was mostly a carnivore. So, this real food challenge has been quite a challenge. It's been difficult to find dishes that aren't meat centered. He's finally beginning to slide toward omnivore. Imagine my surprise tonight when I made this delicious soup and he ate not only the potatoes, but also (Gasp!) the kale!!

Zuppa Tuscana
1 lb. ground italian sausage
1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 large diced white onion
4 Tbs. bacon pieces (I didn't have any bacon tonight, so I omitted this...still good, but probably better with bacon!)
2 tsp. garlic puree (I pressed 3 cloves of fresh garlic)
5 cups chicken broth
5 cups water
1 cup cream (I used half & half)
1 lb. sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
1/4 of a bunch of kale

1. Saute Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in large pot. Drain off excess fat.
2. In the same pan, saute bacon, oinons, and garlic over low-medium heat until onions are soft.
3. Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
4. Add sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about 30 minutes.
5. Add heavy cream and cook until throughly heated.
6. Stir in sausage and kale and cook until heated.

Shared on Fight Back Friday

2 comments:

  1. I should mention that next time I'll use a little less red pepper because I thought it was a bit spicy. However, my hubby added even more to his bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! not sure why, but i never think to use sausage in soup as the protein. i shall try it!

    ReplyDelete