Saturday, April 2, 2011

Spring has Sprung

Yesterday I was craving something extra cheesy.


So I decided to make:

Homemade Laundry Soap. Ok, I'm a day late for April Fools, but after I had grated the bar of Fels Naptha soap, I could not help but think of grated cheddar cheese.

Here's the recipe (you can find it about a million other places online).
1 bar Fels Naptha (or zote or ivory)
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax

Grate the Fels Naptha. Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse until it becomes a fine powder. Use 1 tablespoon for a regular load and 2 tablespoons for a heavily soiled load.

Now onto the seedlings/sproutlings.
Here are the tomatoes. Jelly Bean hybrids on the left, Romas on the right.
Next year I'll sow my Romas a little more sparingly since I've been reading that you should cut your tomato sproutling down to the one healthiest stem. And here's where my inexperience comes in....should I go ahead and cut them back to one stem now? Or should I wait until I transplant them? I wasn't planning to transplant them until at least 2 more weeks. Are they going to survive in the trays that much longer? Also, I've noticed white fuzz on the soil. After googling, I learned about damping off. Let's hope this isn't going to happen or hasn't already happened!

I've also sprouted a variety of peppers.

Basil

After a little more internet searching. I'm afraid I've had insufficient lighting for the tomatoes. I read an article about "leggy" seedlings that keep growing vertically to reach the light without developing the root system sufficiently. So, I've put them under lights as well as by a window and I've put a fan nearby to help with air circulation. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment